According to Wikipedia, “An electromagnetic field (also EMF or EM field) is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It affects the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field. The electromagnetic field extends indefinitely throughout space . . . It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.”
Granted, EMFs are generally not a big topic in business related articles! However, they can have a dramatic impact on our health and, if our health is compromised, our business is compromised!
I first became aware of the health impacts of EMFs when I wrote a term paper at university in the 1980’s. Back then the big concern was EMF from high voltage power lines. Today, man-made EMF is more prolific than ever before and it is increasing. In fact, it is almost impossible to avoid in today’s society regardless of where you are on the planet! Some sources of man-made EMF are:
- Baby monitors
- Cordless phones
- Cell phones
- Cell phone towers
- Microwaves for communication
- Microwaves for heating food
- Wi-Fi routers
- Smart thermostats
- Satellite TV
- Bluetooth devices
The potentially negative impact of electromagnetic fields have been a hot topic for years within the scientific and health community. It is a complex issue that is very difficult to study because of all the random factors that impact the end result. For example, it is almost impossible to control “the dose” of EMF due to the abundance of EMF forces surrounding us everyday. Add to this complexity the fact that our diets and epigenetics are factors that can either exacerbate or help mitigate the effects of EMF.
Because there are no “black and white” studies or conclusions there is a lot of back and forth between multiple sides of the debate – health advocates versus the business advocates (in case you never guessed . . . EMF technology is crucial to our economic development!)
So, the debate around the short term and long term impact of EMF on humans still rages on.
While this debate unfolds, it is important for us to understand what is known about the impact that high levels of EMF have on our bodies.
Before I Continue . . . Disclaimer
As you read this, please keep in mind that I am not a doctor or a biochemist and that each of us is unique genetically and physiologically. This means that we each need to consult a doctor to truly understand our current state of health.
Potential EMF Health Implications
To summarize the impact of the complex interaction between EMF and the human biology into just a few sentences is difficult but here it goes!
- EMF activates voltage gate calcium channels, VGCCs, in the cells in your body.
- The VGCCs are located in the membranes of your cells.
- Activation of the VGCCs allows a tremendous influx of calcium into the cell.
- This excess calcium kicks off a chain reaction which basically generates reactive free radicals which damage your cells.
- This damage impacts:
- Mitochondrial function (the energy engines of your cells)
- Cell membranes and cell proteins
- DNA breaks
- Rate of aging
- Risk for chronic disease
So, what does this mean and what can we do about it?
8 Ways to Minimize Your EMF Exposure
In today’s wirelessly connected world we probably can never avoid all EMF exposure unless we wrap ourselves in a Faraday cage out in the desert somewhere like Chuck McGill from “Better Call Saul”!
However, there are some practical things that we can do. The most important aspect to understand is that the higher the strength of the EMF the more potential for cellular damage. So, as a minimum, we need to minimize high strength exposure by distancing ourselves from EMF sources or minimizing our exposure to EMF.
Here are eight practical ideas to get you started:
- Don’t work next to (or sleep next to) your wi-fi router. You may even want to turn it off at night or when it is not in use.
- Avoid talking with your cell phone pressed to your head – use the speaker phone option or a lower power option like a Bluetooth headset (keeping in mind that Bluetooth is still an EMF generating device).
- Don’t carry your cell phone in a pocket next to your chest – there are studies linking EMF to heart arrhythmias and other heart malfunctions.
- Avoid carrying your cell phone in the front pocket of your jeans – there are studies linking EMF to sperm mobility reduction.
- Use a wired connection for your laptop rather than the wireless option.
- Avoid using or standing close to your microwave oven. Yes, I know that industry says they are safe. But have you noticed that sometimes your wi-fi connection drops out when your microwave is on? That is because the microwave is generating EMF in the same frequency as your wi-fi and enough of it is escaping the microwave to interfere with your wi-fi signal!
- Take a magnesium supplement because magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker.
- Activate your Nrf2 pathway by eating cruciferous vegetables and omega 3 fats. Nrf2 enables intercellular antioxidants which can help counteract the affects of the free radicals enabled by EMF.
As per the disclaimer above, I am not a doctor or a biochemist. My intent with this post is to nudge you a little so you pay more attention to your health. You, your family, your business, and your employees will benefit!
Finally, review these articles for other health tips:
- How Elite Executives Beat Burnout
- Is Your Low Fat Diet Killing You?
- Brain Maker
- Tripping Over the Truth
- Reduce EMF Exposure
- Electromagnetic Fields Harmful Effects
“A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to care for his tools.” Spanish Proverb
We work with leaders to identify and focus on the number one thing that will grow their business!
Call or email us today for more information or to book your free business assessment:
Be sure to download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation and to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.