This week’s book review is Brain Maker by Dr. David Perlmutter.
In Brain Maker, Dr. Perlmutter builds on the research and recommendations in his previous book, Grain Brain. Where Grain Brain was more focused on the results of a grain based diet, Brain Maker focuses on the effects of a poor digestive tract microbiome.
The microbiome is responsible for the digestion of the food that we eat and the ability to properly convert that food into usable nutrients that our bodies and brains need. There is a big emphasis on adjusting our diets away from carbohydrates and towards healthy fats. Fats have been demonized over the last 30 years but without proper scientific research. The research now clearly indicates that healthy fats should make up a large part of our diets.
My takeaway from this book is that carbohydrates are converted to glucose which causes our bodies to produce insulin. Insulin then stops our cells from burning fat as fuel and enables the cells to burn glucose for fuel. Extra glucose is then turned into fat and stored in our bodies. This creates a vicious and unhealthy fat building cycle! We need to focus on retooling our diets from being a “low fat – high carbohydrate” diet to a “higher fat – lower carbohydrate” diet.
Note that I have previously reviewed the following books in 2017:
- Les McKeown’s Predictable Success
- Exponential Organzations by Salim Ismail, Michael S. Malone and Yuri van Geest
- Smart Thinking by Art Markman
- Arianna Huffington’s The Sleep Revolution
- RG LeTourneau’s Mover of Men and Mountains
- Kevin Kelly’s The Inevitable
- Ram Charan’s The Attacker’s Advantage
- Jeff Goins’s The Art of Work
- Ron Karr’s Lead, Sell, or Get Out of the Way
- Timothy Ferriss’s Tools of Titans
- Dr. David Perlmutter’s Grain Brain
- Howard Schultz’z Onward
- Nicholas Eberstadt’s Men Without Work
- Jason Fried’s and David Heinemeier Hansson’s Remote
- VALVE Employee Handbook
- Dr. Mark Hyman’s The Ultramind Solution
- Jeff Goin’s Real Artists Don’t Starve
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Business Law
Download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation. If you would like a business assessment to help kick off your business transformation, contact me at email@example.com or at 587-227-5179.
Be sure to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.