This week’s book review is The Ultramind Solution by Dr. Mark Hyman.
Hyman explains how the food we eat impacts our physical and mental health. He explains how conditions like ADHD, Alzheimer’s, bipolar disorders, OCD, Parkinson’s, etc., can be caused by, or significantly impacted by our diet. Everything he discusses in this book is clearly supported by published, scientific research studies.
I originally read this book back when it first came out in 2009 but decided to reread and compare it to the research that was cited in Grain Brain, Brain Maker, and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.
My conclusion: Although some recent research has changed a few of the positions Hyman takes in the Ultramind Solution, most of the research is still valid. Hyman also maintains a great website where he provides up to date articles and links to the newest research.
My takeaway from this book is that our day to day mental health is profoundly impacted by the food that we eat. Even more profound is that the diet we consume today contributes significantly to our cognitive abilities as we age.
Note that I have previously reviewed the following books in 2017:
- Les McKeown’s Predictable Success
- Exponential Organzations by Salim Ismail, Michael S. Malone and Yuri van Geest
- Smart Thinking by Art Markman
- Arianna Huffington’s The Sleep Revolution
- RG LeTourneau’s Mover of Men and Mountains
- Kevin Kelly’s The Inevitable
- Ram Charan’s The Attacker’s Advantage
- Jeff Goins’s The Art of Work
- Ron Karr’s Lead, Sell, or Get Out of the Way
- Timothy Ferriss’s Tools of Titans
- Dr. David Perlmutter’s Grain Brain
- Howard Schultz’z Onward
- Nicholas Eberstadt’s Men Without Work
- Jason Fried’s and David Heinemeier Hansson’s Remote
- VALVE Employee Handbook
Download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation. If you would like a business assessment to help kick off your business transformation, contact me at email@example.com or at 587-227-5179.
Be sure to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.