The book review for this week is Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller.
This is my pick for the business book of 2017!
In Building a StoryBrand Miller lays out his blueprint for building a highly focused business brand that makes the customer the hero of their own story. If you are not positioning your customer to be a hero (or worse, you are trying to make yourself the hero), you are not setting up your business for success!
My takeaway from this book is the StoryBrand framework shown below:
- A character (your customer) who
- has a problem (the need that your product/service solves) and
- meets a guide (you).
- The guide gives them a plan (your product or service)
- and calls them to action (you make the sale and equip them to properly apply the tools).
- The guide helps them avoid failure (a vivid picture of what happens if they don’t use your product/service)
- and ends in success (a vivid picture of what the future looks like after they use your product/service and successfully solve their problem)
Take some time this week and read this book. Then review your business practices against this 7 point framework and make all adjustments necessary to position your customer as a hero.
Finally, take a look at my post How to Make Your Customer a Hero for more details.
Note that I have previously reviewed the following books in 2017:
- Les McKeown’s Predictable Success
- Exponential Organzations by Salim Ismail, Michael S. Malone and Yuri van Geest
- Smart Thinking by Art Markman
- Arianna Huffington’s The Sleep Revolution
- RG LeTourneau’s Mover of Men and Mountains
- Kevin Kelly’s The Inevitable
- Ram Charan’s The Attacker’s Advantage
- Jeff Goins’s The Art of Work
- Ron Karr’s Lead, Sell, or Get Out of the Way
- Timothy Ferriss’s Tools of Titans
- Dr. David Perlmutter’s Grain Brain
- Howard Schultz’z Onward
- Nicholas Eberstadt’s Men Without Work
- Jason Fried’s and David Heinemeier Hansson’s Remote
- VALVE Employee Handbook
- Dr. Mark Hyman’s The Ultramind Solution
- Jeff Goin’s Real Artists Don’t Starve
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Business Law
- Dr. David Perlmutter’s Brain Maker
- Jesse Tevelow’s The Connection Algorithm
- Jesse Tevelow’s Hustle
- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin’s Extreme Ownership
- Shep Hyken’s Be Amazing or Go Home
- Russell H. Conwell’s Acres of Diamonds
- Ray Dalio’s Principles
We help leaders navigate marketplace complexities and build successful and lasting business legacies.
Call or email us today for more information or to book your free business assessment:
Be sure to download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation and to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.