The biggest obstacle standing between you and fulfilling the vision for your organization is fear!
I recently had a chance to listen to Gary Haugen speak at a conference and he was really clear about this point. Fear is the silent destroyer of dreams.
Leadership begins with a dream and fear fights hard to destroy it! Leaders must be vigilant and not give in to fears.
What would have happened if Winston Churchill would have given in to his fears and given up hope that Allies would prevail? What would have happened if Martin Luther Jr. would have given into his fears and not shown up for his “I Have a Dream” speech?
Great leaders stand up and take action when great action is needed!
Three Actions to Overcome Fear
We have all heard the action is the antidote to fear and I would agree. Even more powerful would be taking the right actions to overcome fear. Haugen described three powerful actions that leaders can take to overcome fear in their organizations and in their lives.
- Relentlessly inventory your own fears. Often what we think we fear is only a symptom of fear. What really is the true fear or root fear? Reflect on these. What can you do to define them and overcome them?
- Switch from playing defense to playing offense. Build your dream on the abundant hope of what might go right, not what is going wrong. Stop living in the joy killing fear of playing defense and switch to the fear killing joy of playing offense. Charge the darkness!
- Forge a community of courage around you. Care for one another, support, and love each other. Courage is contagious.
As leaders, we must lead through our fear and focus on what we can achieve! Never stop fighting for your dream and for doing what is right. Do not succumb to fear but rather stand up, take action, and defeat the fears!
Finally, take a look at these posts for more information:
- What is Effective Business Leadership and Why is it Important
- How to Prepare Yourself for Exponential Growth
- The Cost of No Change
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
- 2 Sure Fire Ways to Build an Organization of Growth Minded People
“Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all.” Norman Vincent Peale
How have you or your business been impacted by fear? Leave your comments below!
Download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation. If you would like a business assessment to help kick off your business transformation, contact me at email@example.com or at 587-227-5179.
Be sure to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.