This week’s book review is Start with Why by Simon Sinek
This is an excellent book that every person should read. Although it is especially relevant to business leaders, it applies to each of our personal lives as well!
Sinek explains the philosophy of defining an organization’s purpose or reason for existing. He calls this the organization’s “Why”. This compelling reason “Why” the organization exists needs must be ingrained into the organization’s culture. Once an organization knows “Why” it exists then it can determine “How” to deliver on this and exactly “What” it will do to deliver the “Why.”
My take-away from this book is that we should never market a product or business with WHAT is being sold. This drives the business towards becoming a commodity. Organizations must differentiate themselves like Apple and stand out from the masses by marketing WHY the world needs your company.
Note that I have previously reviewed the following books this year:
- Rory Vaden’s Procrastinate on Purpose.
- Bill Browder’s Red Notice
- Atul Gawande’s The Checklist Manifesto
- Brad Lomenick H3 Leadership
- Eula Bliss’ On Immunity: An Inoculation
- Adam Grant’s Give and Take
- Paul Leinward’s and Cesare R. Mainardi’s Strategy That Works
- John Nemo’s LinkedIn Riches
- Dr. Henry Cloud’s The Power of the Other
- T. Harv Eker’s Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
- Steve Case’s The Third Wave
- Thomas F Crum’s The Magic of Conflict
- Cal Newport’s Deep Work
- Greg Brenneman’s Right Away and All At Once
- Patrick J. McGinnis’ The 10% Entrepreneur
- Joseph A. Michelli’s The New Gold Standard
- Michael Hyatt’s and Daniel Harkavy’s Living Forward
- Todd Henry’s Louder than Words
Download a free copy of my new Ebook: 12 Steps to Business Transformation. If you are interested in a business assessment to help kick off your business transformation, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 587-227-5179.
Be sure to sign up at www.thinkingbusinessblog.com for weekly blog updates delivered to your inbox.